Friday, July 18, 2008

The Road Less Traveled

After looking at the temple grounds we were preparing to leave, but Brigham was not having any of it. So, we decided to let him wander and we would just follow where he led. It was one of the best choices we have ever made.
He led us up the hill to one of the many groves surrounding the temple grounds. At the top of the hill their was a small path which he continued to follow further into the woods. Eventually he stopped at one of the most beautiful peaceful places I have seen. Perhaps it was our mood, or the fact it was so close to the temple and the sacred grove, but regardless it became the highlight of our trip. I jokingly called it our own sacred grove. We stayed for quite awhile because none of us wanted to leave.
I can best describe it as one of those moments that time seemed to slow down. It was quiet; we were all together with nothing else to think about but the present, and we were surrounded by the beauty and wonder of God's creations. Life felt complete and happy.
I especially enjoyed seeing Brigham and Kaiya so fascinated with their surroundings. They stopped to examine the trees, leaves, rocks, bugs, everything. Caleb and I just stood back and watched. It definately is one of those treasured moments to add to my memory.

I am always so busy hauling my kids according to my schedule. It was refreshing to give them control for a while and experience the world from their time schedule. Having no concept of time they can truly live in the moment. Perhaps we can learn a lot from children or as they are called in Chinese, "little friends."

3 comments:

mena said...

Happy to see all of you living in the NOW and really embracing every moment of this super cool adventure you are on. I love that you let Brigham just lead the way. Very sweet post. It makes me really miss those cute "little friends." I am so happy that you are blogging so that we can experience all this along with you .

Gwen said...

I think it's great to just let kids get out and explore nature. I think it's really good for them! House is still standing!!!

Chalan said...

That is really neat. Sometimes it does take our kids to remind us to stop and smell the roses. What a cool post. Love it!