Friday, June 27, 2008

Random Ramblings: more info than you ever wanted to know about me

On the drive here we clocked our new car's gas mileage. 41 miles per gallon. Yeah!!! It makes me not regret trading space for economy. We got our license plates in the mail today.

I have had such extreme reactions to my kids here. I have never had so many people stop and admire Brigham and Kaiya before. It is almost like kids are a novelty. On the other hand I have never sensed so much annoyance with my kids. Even when they are being well behaved some people give me looks like "oh brother, kids." I realize I am contradicting myself from my earlier statement, but it seems people either really like or really hate kids here.

Caleb has his first test today. He is a little nervous.

Some days I really love being a mom. Other days, well, not so much. Today I love it! I just want to spend all my free time with them. Everything they say and do is cute.

Just for the record I hate Walmart. However, there is no place more comforting than Walmart. Whenever I move to a new place it is one of the first places I like to go. When a new town is stressful Walmart is relaxing. Call me strange, but I find its familiarity comforting. I know what to expect at Walmart. I know where things are. I know I will see a yellow smiley face staring back at me. I know I will see large blue signs and older workers saying "hello." I suppose it is a love hate relationship. I hate Walmart, but I love seeing one in a new town I move to.

Have I died and gone to heaven? Okay, so I love love love the Wegman's grocery store here. If any of you have ever been to one you know what I am talking about. If you have ever been to a Trader Joe's it is just like that but gigantic. I can't stay away I think today was my fourth trip this week.
To start with it is about four times as big as my Macey's grocery store back home. It is more the size of a Super Walmart except it is just a grocery store. So, the first thing I notice walking in is the produce section. It is huge. I have never even seen some of the fruit they have to sell. Anything you want to buy, they have it. Also they have it divided into regular and organic sections. Amazing. I now realize how some people can just live on fruit and vegetables alone. When you have so many to choose from you don't get bored of the traditonal apple, orange and banana.
The bakery and the deli sections are just as big. They could be entire stores by themselves. I can never choose which loaf of bread to buy because there are at least sixty different types of fresh bread. That doesn't include the bagels, muffins, doughnuts, cookies, cakes etc. Now, these aren't the baked at four in the morning breads. The bakers are making the loaves fresh all day. There are at least six workers at each station decked out in full chef attire. It is just fun to watch them work. Plus, there is nothing better than buying bread that is still warm and bagels that are being pulled fresh off the pan.
This brings me to the candy section. Imagine a candy section with floor to ceiling sized bins lining a huge section of the back wall. Filled with every type of candy. It is divided into gummies, chocolates, licorice, hard candies, etc. Surrounding the top of the candy section are tracks that little trains and truck drive on. Now, Brigham loves to go see the trains.
Today I wandered in the international foods section. It is a little overwhelming. I wanted to try so many different things. Enough rambling. I am a little embarrassed to love a grocery store so much. But what can I say. It is just a fun palce to go and see so many new products. I could definately get used to this type of grocery shopping. It makes Shopping fun again. Wow! Talk about a random rambling. How about a novella!!!


It's raining again. Although rain is my favorite type of weather I am little bummed not to take the kids to the park like I planned.

One of my kids hid my pilates dvd (grrrr!) If the weather clears I hope to go on a walk later.

Enough of my ramblings. If you managed to read the whole post-wow! I am impressed with your dedication. If you didn't that's okay. I am not sure I would have either if I hadn't written the whole thing. Have a great day. I hope to post more pictures of my lovely new town later. Tah-Tah for now.

7 comments:

Coty said...

good post, it felt like you were releasing your demons and reminding yourself of the good all at once. good for you.
yay for awesome grocery stores (seriously).

Chalan said...

Wow, now that is what I call a post! love to hear what is going on. Man that grocery story sounds amazing! I don't blame you a bit. Your house looks cute. Glad things are going well. Don't worry about people being annoyed by your kids- if they don't like people they should stay home! :)

mena said...

Love the post and I totally get what you are saying about Wal Mart. I don't love it ever... it's comforting in a weird way when you are far from home. Sounds like an amazing grocerey store. I want to come and hang out with you!!!! Love the house. Can't wait for all the fun post to come.

mena said...

i meant either.....not ever...

Gwen said...

Man, I wish we had a grocery store like that! That's part of why I don't like cooking much. There isn't enough variety. As far as my posts with the look alike meter - you don't vote. You can go to that site and download pictures of mom, dad and baby and it "reads" facial features and says who the kid looks more like. It's all computer generated stuff. You should do it!!

Aimee said...

Oh Emilee Wegmans sounds fabulously wonderful I think I remember going there. I love the detail you used in your post, makes for a wonderful read. I laughed when I read the post about Wal mart. It's funny how Walmart is comforting maybe just in our family but it is like a symbol of American culture.
love Aimee

mattandmarcee said...

Hey guys, what an adventure you are baving!! It brings back so many memories of our graduate school days in South Dakota. We lived 2 hours from Winter Quarters so we visited it frequently. How fun!! I can't wait to hear more, keep us updated!! Your kids are the cutest so if people act bothered it's just because they're jealous and wish they were theirs!!